Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Day 15!

Well, so much for blogging my smoothie fast journey. I'm not much of a computer whiz and I spent hours the first couple days trying to figure stuff out on here, and finally concluded that I need help learning how to do some things if I am going to do it right. So, I kind of fell off the wagon in regard to keeping everything posted. Today is day 15. Whoo Hoo! I have actually made it this far without cheating at all! Even with taking a trip to the Creation Museum for our daughters birthday, having company over, and being invited to a friends house last night!  It certainly helped that my friend is also doing the juice/smoothie fast with me, so we sat around the table and watched our husbands and kiddos eat pizza and chips while we sipped juice and water. :) I have lost right about 9 lbs as of this morning. Last week I was pretty much at a stand still. I stayed at the same weight the entire week long. I was kind of discouraged about that, but my sister encouraged me saying that my body was getting used to a new weight level. I actually tried adding more fruit and veggies in a couple days because I thought perhaps my body just needed more calories if I was going to lose and not just hang on to the weight. However, it is extremly hard to overeat, or even have a high caloric intake, when you are just eating  fresh fruit and veggies blended into smoothies! I started adding 1/2 an avocado to my smoothie once a day to make sure I had some good fat in my diet, as well as putting 1 tsp of bee pollen in my morning smoothie each day.

Has it been hard? Actually, it hasn't been to bad. There have been a few days I have really been tempted to just be done with it, but it is more because I've been trying to use up some of the produce from my garden (I have a LOT of kale and beets) and they are rather strong flavors to mask when you put to much in your smoothie. If I actually followed recipes all the time, I'm sure I would have enjoyed my mixtures a little better. The worst one I made, I didn't follow a recipe and threw stuff in for a salsa smoothie. I didn't use enough tomatoes and added to much bell pepper, cilantro, and jalapeno pepper from the garden. My poor stomach couldn't handle it, and it promptly disappeared within about 2 minutes of drinking it. Just an FYI, jalapeno peppers up your nose doesn't feel good! I didn't try that mixture again!

How have I felt? I've felt really good for the most part. I really didn't get the headaches and body aches that others have mentioned. I have noticed that I got cold easier. I just wear a sweater when that happens, and that problem is pretty much resolved. I've been drinking plenty of water, but I have noticed that I still feel thirsty at times. That seems kind of weird, but my friend said she had noticed the same thing, so I guess that is all just part of it. There have been a few times I have gotten really tired, but if I go make a smoothie, after a while I feel great and ready to go again.

I did start working out a little bit last week. Not much. I only did it twice, but I think it helped in the weight loss. I did so again this morning and plan to try and do so at least 3 times a week. My goal is still to lose another 8 lbs and level there, but I understand that it will take patience and perseverance. I don't plan on continuing to do smoothies until that happens. I plan on beginning to add solid food back into my diet tomorrow, but I will probably also continue with the smoothies while my body adjusts and works back into the changes I throw at it with eating solids again.

Would I do it again? Probably. It is hard to get started. The first few days are pretty rough, but overall, it is worth it, and I'm glad I did it. :)

Thanks for tagging along and joining me here on my journey to health.

2 comments:

Nicki said...

Good Job!!!

Green Thickies said...

Hi Jasmine. Wow, you're doing amazingly well and I'm so glad you're taking part in the Green Thickies challenge too. You're right, it's very hard to overeat fruits and veggies so it's a perfect diet for weight loss.
I also get more cold during my challenges and more thirsty too. I think it's the body flushing out all the excess salt that makes you more thirsty.
It's so hard just drinking smoothies while watching others eat. My husband just had a pizza for dinner too but I don't eat dairy anymore so it didn't appeal to me but my baby's rice cake with almond butter did!
You showed such great willpower.
I really enjoyed reading this post and hope to read more in the future.
Katherine