Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Starting my fast~Day 1

Day 1

Today I made it! Although I was tempted. I actually started the day out with a glass of prune juice which really shouldn't be included on the smoothie fast because it is not fresh being bottled in the plastic jar. But, I had it in my cupboard, and I need to make use of what I have. I used to try and do one fast day a week where I had only water. I haven't been very faithful at it for quite a while, but I'd like to do it again. We have revival coming up next month, and I want to be found faithful in the place of prayer and preparing my heart for the Lord. I want to be willing to get out of my comfort zone and reach out to those around me who are hurting and need the Lord. So, although I didn't do just water today, Mondays are going to be my day where I set aside food in normal portions and try to focus  more on the essential privilige/battle of prayer.

Sunday we had a "homecoming" at our church along with a big pitch in dinner. I had made a bunch of whole wheat rolls and french bread. The rolls were pretty much all eaten, but the bread didn't get touched. So, yesterday morning I fried up all the french bread into "french toast". The kids enjoyed eating some, and the rest I froze for later. I was really tempted to pop a piece in my mouth since I really enjoy french toast and really don't make it very often. Besides that, I kept telling myself, it really was healthy. The bread was made with fresh ground wheat, and honey. So it wouldn't have hurt me. It seems so hard for me to get started though and stick to something, so I refrained!

Later in the morning I made a large pot of herbal tea which I sipped on throughout the morning and afternoon. Charity was eating a bowl of grapes and without thinking I did reach over and pop two of them in my mouth. Oops!

Then for supper plans changed around the house, so I ended up throwing something quick together. I made grilled cheese on fresh whole wheat bread and ramen noodle soup for my family. I know, not very nutritious, but I needed to get something on the table. The kids did eat some fruit and veggies for snacks, so I didn't feel quite so bad. We like home made bread fresh, so when I make a batch we tend to eat it quickly. I was really tempted to eat some of the grilled cheese sandwhich though. We ended up having an entire one left over. Fresh bread grilled with Colby Jack cheese dripping  off the edges. Mmmm, makes my mouth water! I did good though. I didn't eat any.

After supper my husband requested cookies. Yup, I made them. Nope, I didn't eat any. Score! I made it through the first day. If I can make it through the next few days, I know I can do it!

1 comment:

Katherine @ Green Thickies said...

That's great you are using your fast for getting closer to God. I should take a leaf out of your book! You are very inspiring!